Saturday, October 31, 2009

Second Life



This is an innovation that enables you to be someone else, life another life and create your own world. It seems to be taking off with teens and older. I have to confess that I feel quite unsure about this whole idea. I think I need to live a second life to get this. I can see it becoming addictive and a form of escapism which I wonder about the ramifications for mental and emotional well being.

I still believe even in the midst of this technological world that there is a lot to be gained in life by just connecting with the real world around you, nature, family and friends in a real way. I guess Second Life and it's popularity indicates that there are many out there in the real world who have reason enough to want escape and I'm well aware of that working with girls who are rehabilitating from drug addictions.

I'm pretty happy with my life as it is and don't see myself needing to escape into another life. As far as using it in the classroom I'm sitting on the fence and watching. I'm not sure what I'm watching out for or looking for; I suppose I'm hoping that the real life for the second lifers gets good enough to enjoy without having to create an unreal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment